Power Of Digiscoping

Demonstrating the Power of Digiscoping has been my wish for quite sometime. Of late, I am getting over obsessed with this technique.

Last weekend, I visited Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary. We stayed at Kulagi Nature Camp and roamed around the place. Being my first experience of Digiscoping in a forest habitat, most of the attempts to photograph some of the Western Ghats endemics turned out to be a tough job. Fortunately enough, standing for a couple of hours in front of an Indian Coral Tree (Erythrina suberosa) proved fruitful. Birds thronged to feed on these flowers although there were very few flowers were left.

Brown-headed Barbets (Megalaima zeylanica) were kind enough to make good number of visits to these flowers, allowing us to take some nice photographs. In such a moment, one usually ends up going on a clicking-spree. This is what happened. I kept taking close-up shots of the bird, till I realised that I need to take a wide-angle image, if I have to show the Power Of Digiscoping.

Here I have put two pictures together. These two images were taken few minutes apart, with the close up image taken first. So, you can see the bird having moved a little to the right in the wider-image. The bird has been marked with a black box in the wider image.

Here are the details of the equipments used:
Scope: Swarovski ATS-65-HD with 30x eyepiece
Camera: Nikon Coolpix 8400 (used at 3x optical zoom)
Support: Camera is placed on Digital Camera Base (DCB) in axis with the scope

To take the wider image, I just took the camera out of the DCB and clicked the image at 3x itself. And this is what I got!

Isn't this wonderful? Isn't Digiscoping fun?

Good night.

Comments

  1. Dear Madhukar,

    Great to see the picture. You could be India's Laurence Poh (www.laurencepoh.com). Hope you will get to bring us such great pictures.

    BTW, the tree is not Erythina indica, it is Erythrina suberosa.

    Best Wishes,

    Subbu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Subbi,

    Thanks for the correction. I have now corrected the tree name to Erythrina suberosa.

    With regards,
    Madhukar

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment if you like the post.

Popular Posts