Books related to Gandhi

I have four in front of me. All these books talk about Gandhi and Gandhism; while some are dedicated on a subject directly related to Gandhi or his ideas, in one book I come across references to Gandhi in few places.

Yes, I am an admirer of Gandhi. Ardent admirer? You can call me so. But, that does not mean that I take whatever Gandhi said at his face value. My opinions have changed over a period of time. I have changed from a Gandhi fanatic to an admirer. More than anything, I liked Gandhi's work in South Africa. (Sathyagraha in South Africa - Collected works of Gandhi).

The four books are:

1. The Economic History of India - Under Early British Rule. "From the rise of the British power in 1757 to the accession of Queen Victoria in 1837". Author: Romesh Dutt, C.I.E. - Volume 1. First published in Great Britain by Kegan Paul, Trench, Triibner, 1902.
2. Dharampal - Collected Writings. Five volumes book reprinted in 2007 by "Other India Press" association with "Society for Integrated Development of Himalayas (SIDH)".
Volume 1: Indian Science and Technology in the Eighteenth Century
Volume 2: Civil Disobedience in Indian Tradition
Volume 3: The Beautiful Tree: Indigenous Indian Education in the Eighteenth Century
Volume 4: Panchayat Raj and India's Polity
Volume 5: Essays on Tradition, Recovery and Freedom
3. "ಗಾಂಧೀವಾದದ ಶವಪರೀಕ್ಷೆ" (An autopsy of Gandhism). Author: Yashpal (Original in Hindi). Translation by: Dr. Pradhan Gurudatta. Publisher: D.V.K Murthy, Mysore.
4. A Search In Secret India - The classic work on seeking a guru. Author: Paul Brunton. First published in 1934 by Rider.

Having listed the books, Gandhi refers to "The Economic History of India" in his writings. Gandhi holds strong views about ancient India and used that to motivate the people of India.

Dharampal is a Gandhi-vaadi and is known for his seminal work on ancient India. This is one book every Indian should read. I haven't read the book. So, I can not comment on his views and that of Gandhi's.

In the book "An autopsy of Gandhism" - Yashpal talks about the futility of Gandhian thoughts.

In his book, Paul Brunton meets good number of spiritual leaders and I would like to draw the attention to Sahabji Maharaj - leader of Radha Soami movement in 1930s. Radha Soami mentions about his conversations with Gandhi and his opinions about impracticality Gandhian thoughts.

The attempt is not to flatter or criticize Gandhi and his works. I would like to read through all these and form my opinion. Hope I write more about these as I go through the books.

Good day!

Comments

Popular Posts